In 2014, Chord introduced Hugo, a revolutionary portable DAC and headphone amp that became a landmark product in the audio landscape. Advances in digital technology, including the latest FPGAs and WTA (Watts Transient Aligned) filters, have enabled us to introduce a next-generation version, Hugo 2, featuring flexible new features, plus next-generation technical and sonic performance.
Hugo 2 can be used both at home and on-the-go, either with headphones or within a conventional audio system. Its line-level output and full-function remote control adds real flexibility in full-size and desktop systems.
The device offers four digital inputs (optical, coaxial and HD USB) plus extended-range Bluetooth, with high-resolution file playback up to 768kHz and up to DSD512 (Octa DSD), via its HD USB input. Analogue outputs include 2x RCA, plus 3.5mm and 6.35mm headphone outputs.
A four-function switch filter offers a useful degree of user-selectable frequency-shaping, bringing warm and soft or transparent and incisive presentations, giving additional flexibility and user control. For headphone-listening, Hugo 2 retains the popular digital crossfeed function of the original and offers three operation modes. The system duplicates the effect of listening to speakers and is based on advanced binaural audio research.
Hugo 2 features four spherical control buttons, which illuminate with colour-coding information and control power, input, filtering, plus the unit’s crossfeed functions.
Battery playing time is around seven hours and two modes of automatic charging are included using the dedicated Micro USB charging port; an indicator shows charging and battery-charge status.
- Materials: Clamshell precision machined aluminium casing with polycarbonate buttons, acrylic signal window, and glass viewing portal. Available in a choice of two colours – natural silver, and satin black
- Battery: 2x Rechargeable custom Enix Energies 3.7v 9.6Wh Li-ion (lithium-ion (2600mAh) batteries*
- Tap length filter: 49,152 – 10 element Pulse Array design
- Play time: In excess of seven (7) hours
- Charging: Nominal four (4) hours via Micro USB at 1.8amps (fast charge) – Nominal eight (8) hours at 1amp (slow charge)
- Coax via 3.5mm Jack (Red): 44.1kHz - 768kHz @ 16bit - 32bit
- Optical (Green): 44.1kHz -192kHz @ 16bit - 24bit
Connectivity (input wireless):
- Bluetooth (Apt X) (Blue): 44.1kHz - 48kHz @ 16bit
- Connectivity (output):
- 1x ¼” jack headphone output
- 1x 3.5mm jack headphone output
- Stereo (L & R) RCA output
- PCM support: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 358.8kHz, 384kHz, 717.6kHz, and 768kHz.
- DSD support:Native playback supported. DSD64 (Single) to DSD512 (Octa-DSD)
- Volume control: Digital, activated in 1dB increments. Last known state saved upon shutdown, with exception of line-level mode
- Line-level mode: Activated via press of ‘Source’ and ‘Crossfeed’ buttons. Line level = 3v via all outputs. Reset by power cycle
- Power saving mode: Auto-shutdown after ten minutes of input inactivity
- Driver support: Driverless with Mac OS X and Linux, driver required for Windows OS
- Chipset: Chord Electronics custom coded Xilinx Artix 7 (XC7A15T) FPGA
- Frequency response:20Hz – 20kHz +/- 0.2dB
- Output stage: Class A
- Output impedance:0.025Ω
- THD:<0.0001% 1kHz 3v RMS 300Ω
- Signal to noise ratio: 126dB ‘A’ Weighted
- Weight: 450g
- Dimensions:130mm (L) x 100mm (W) x 21mm (H)